2018年2月20日火曜日

Heavy Snow in Fukui City on February 7th, 2018

It started snowing heavily since February 5th, 2018 in Fukui City. 145 centimeters of snow was recorded in Fukui City at 2 o’clock in the afternoon on February 7th, 2018. It was the heaviest snowfall since 1981 in Fukui City!! Almost every school and office were closed as a result of the severe weather. And even many hospitals, stores and restaurants were closed as well. No trains and/or buses were running.

 

As I stepped out of my house, I saw so much snow piled up everywhere even more than a day before. While 1,500 cars and trucks were stuck along a 20-kilometer stretch of National Route No.8, residential areas had only a few cars running. All day long, many snow-plow trucks were running around in the city to clear the snow. However, it continued snowing heavily and piling up quickly, so the snow-plow trucks could not keep up with clearing the snow. The sidewalks were covered with thick layers of snow. Moreover, people piled the snow up from roadways onto the snow on the sidewalks, so pedestrians had to walk on the roadways.

 

I had to go to the hospital and a supermarket. However, as I mentioned earlier that many hospitals and supermarkets in Fukui City were closed, so I had hard time finding them. Somehow, I managed to find the hospital and the supermarket that were opened. At the hospital I went, there were much fewer doctors and nurses working and patients. And at the supermarket, there were enough food and drink for everyone even though I was told that there would be no foods and drinks sold at stores in Fukui City.

 

I felt very lucky and thankful to find the hospital and the supermarket that I could go.

 

T.F

 

Our previous blogs about snow in Fukui.

Heavy Snow in Fukui City on February 6th, 2018

Winter Scenery in the Center of Fukui City #1

Winter Scenery in Fukui, Japan #2 -Heavy Snowfall in Fukui / Beginning-

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿