2018年6月14日木曜日

The Japanese film “The Forest of Wool and Steel”

The film is based on a novel by Ms. Natsu Miyashita, who was born in Fukui City. Also, the novel received “Honya Taisho Prize” (chosen by bookstore staff nationwide) in 2016. I read the novel, and I had been looking forward to see the film since I heard the novel was made into a film, so I went to see the film.

                                          From TOHO website

Then, when I got the theater, surprisingly I met Ms. Miyashita in person at the lobby. Of course, I had no personal acquaintance with her, but I automatically said to her “ It’s a pleasant surprise to see you here! I am looking forward to seeing the film.” and she smilingly replied, “I will see it now.” Although she must have seen the film at a preview, she may have a new impression to see the film at a local theater with audiences. I sometimes see Ms. Miyashita on local TV programs. She looks gentle and elegant, talks modestly, and has a maidenly transparent feeling. I always thought she is a wonderful person and actually Ms. Miyashita was exactly what I had imagined.

The film has a lot of beautiful picturesque scenes and the actors’ performance didn’t disturb the atmosphere. Their performances as a tuner were very good as if they were real ones, from which I could guess that they prepared the roles well. I like Ken Mitsuishi’s performance, and in this film as well, he had a presence, though he didn’t have many lines. I think that he is really a clever actor. Also, you can enjoy piano performance at the same time in the film. Especially, piano performance by Mone and Moka Kamishiraishi sisters was impressive.

The main character thinks that he isn’t capable of a tuner and his senior tuner said to him. “Capability is a feeling of love something.” I think that the phrase is an axiom which I want to share with everyone. If you like something very much and if you can master it, it is an excellent capability.

And, the ending theme (written by Jo Hisaishi, played by Nobuyuki Tsujii) was so beautiful that it made me want to cry as if the world of the film would continue. By seeing such a good film, I could re-examine my daily life and make a course correction a little. (H.S)

 

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿